Monday, November 23, 2009

2010 North American champs

If you've been keeping up with (inter)national bike polo news, you know that a group of 25 players from all over has been hand picked to do 2 things: 1. Pick the location of the 2010 North American HCBP championships, and 2. Design a more representative elected body to take over whatever tasks are required to keep bike polo the way we like it, but with hundreds more people playing every year. I.E. Bigger, more expensive/sponsored tournaments with uniform rules and regional qualifiers, etc.

St Louis is currently in the Midwest region, and the 4 people representing us in these first two issues are: Chris from CoMO, Ben from Chicago, Jonny from Madison, and Jake from Milwaukee. The two bids on the table for the 2010 NA's are Boston, MA and Madison, WI. Look over the bids if you've got some time. If you then have an opinion about which city you'd rather cuddle in, contact our reps and let 'em know what you think. Voting closes at Midnight on Friday, November 27th.

After a 2010 NA's host is chosen, work will begin on chartering and empowering an elected body to help administrate bike polo on a larger scale. Keep an eye on bikepolo.ca or this space for updates and opportunities to voice an opinion about those issues.

17 comments:

Lucky said...

I vote Madison. It'd be nice to cheaply drive to a major this year, instead of flying all over. They also say thet they have the capacity for a 96 team tourney, and guarantee at least 12 games per team over the weekend.

Tim D. said...

All of the COMO people I've talked to in the last few days are for Madison. If worlds happens in Berlin like it looks like it will, a couple of us are going to try to go. If NAs are in the Midwest, we can do both!

Ben said...

There's no annoying Boston accent in Madison. In my book, that's a positive.

Tim A. said...

Midwest is best! Vote Mad!

Ben said...

If anyone wants a baby blue 2008 Schwinn Madison or a black 2009 Schwinn Madison, let me know. I know a guy looking to part with these bikes for $325 each. He takes good care of his bikes, and you won't walk away disappointed.

Feel contact me for more info.

Anonymous said...

topher, or Ben,

any ideas where I can buy some fairly cheap hockey gloves? Wal-Mart "doesn't carry hockey stuff," i saw a pair like Ben's at Dick's sporting goods, but they were $80. toph, where did you buy gear back when you played roller hockey? Thanks.

-Patrick

Ben said...

You may be able to find something at Play It Again Sports. Gloves that aren't beat to hell will probably start around $20.

Or I'll sell you my hockey gloves for a measly $10. They're in great shape, and the glove on my shot hand has saved my hand/fingers countless times. I got a pair of used lacrosse gloves Sunday night, so I don't need the hockey gloves any more.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ben!

I'll buy your hockey gloves, assuming they fit me, can you bring them to next polo?

-Patrick

Ben said...

They'll be in my car until I see you again.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh... whats up with the boards? I tried to look at the bids and .ca no longer exists. Doesn't matter cuz I vote Madison anyways. But what am I supposed to do at work all day if there is no .ca...

Julia

Lucky said...

They're having server issues. It should be cleared up by tonight.

Ben said...

A little rain is supposed to fall around 3 PM.

Polo tonight? Maplewood (if it's not soaked)? Lindenwood (if soccer dicks aren't there)? Wash U garage (if security turns a blind eye)?

No work tomorrow, so I wanna polo all night!!!

STL BIKE POLO said...

i'm headed to southern mo tonight so i can't play

anchovy said...

I vote Madison.
I dont know if i can play tonight. Currently messing with my bike and i may have plans. It would have to be early game for me, or at least i leave early.

Ben said...

I have the afternoon off. I'd be happy to play/practice early if your bike issues are sorted out.

Anonymous said...

weather.com says no rain today or tonight, where is the polo? i can play early too

-Patrick

Ben said...

I vote Maplewood. Everyone bring lights, bungee cords, and extension chords.